SCALING AUTO OFFSETTING
TO EUROPEAN CONSUMERS
Learn how Santander Consumer Bank is using CHOOOSE technology to enable car owners all over Europe to calculate and offset their driving-related CO2e emissions.
New research from Deloitte shows that 71 percent of UK banking customers are more likely to choose a bank with a positive social and environmental impact. A bank that’s seen its potential to enable its customers to interact with climate action is Santander Consumer Bank (SCB). Together with CHOOOSE, the Spanish enterprise has developed a uniquely holistic, international, and multi-language integration to implement consumer-facing climate compensation options for its auto finance customers. SCB Europe leases or finances approximately 28,000 autos per day. With HQ-level support, CHOOOSE is working to enable sophisticated auto compensation programs across European markets.
CHOOOSE has developed a hosted web solution with an embedded carbon application from where car owners can easily address and offset the carbon emissions from their driving.
- CHOOOSE API and hosted solution
- Project sourcing and offsetting
- Integration to 8 countries including translations
- Customer journey, communications, and CRM to end-consumer
The CHOOOSE API integration provides a flexible solution that calculates various precision levels based on the supplied input. Country, year, make, model, derivative, fuel type are all optional input parameters defining the car, while kilometers and number of cars will determine the emission magnitude. The solution currently supports specific car models and derivatives as per the UK Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA), and all cars registered in an EU member state that is reported to the European Environmental Agency (EEA).
- Car emissions are calculated based on New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) and Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) protocols. The emission factors are derived from the EEA as per Regulation NO 443/2009, and the specific car models registered by the UK Vehicle Certification Agency data.
- The API quantifies Electrical car and hybrid car emissions by taking the average grid carbon density into account (source EEA).
- The API correlates from NEDC to WLTP values using correlations fitting for EV's, hybrids, and fossil cars. CHOOOSE recommends relying on WLTP, with WLTP correlated from NEDC as a fallback when WLTP test data is not available.
A MARKET LEADING
Transportation is responsible for nearly 30% of the EU’s total CO2e emissions. 72% of it comes from road transportation, of which cars account for 60%. Thanks to Santander's carbon offset application, car owners can now calculate and pay for the driving-related CO2e emissions they are responsible for. The CHOOOSE integration seamlessly directs the offset contribution to a portfolio of CO2-reducing climate projects verified by the most comprehensive and stringent international standards.
HOW AUTO OFFSETTING WORKS